Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Collages

This assignment I had trouble with.  For some reason, I have a hard time understanding what exactly my professor means when an assignment is given.  For my first attempt at collages with composition, my pieces had little to do with composition.  I liked them well enough, but they were very simple, and didn't really dabble with the idea of composition.  When I better understood the assignment, I attempted one more.  I started by combining two of my first pieces and adding more depth to them.  As soon as I got the thumbs up, I had this cat in the bag.  After I found a subject or idea to focus on, the second two were not terribly hard.  I am such a perfectionist though, that finding the exact materials I wanted to work with were difficult at times, and getting it just so was even harder, I think all of my final pieces came out well.





***UPDATED COLLAGES

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah, First rule in studio classes - there is no one right answer so as soon as you embrace that it becomes easier. Project parameters are set up to give you things to explore - in this case it had to do with understanding compositional space within a 2D picture plane. How does one use repetition, spatial organization, color, line, etc -- i.e., the visual elements of art -- to create an effective composition (aka spatial organization across and through the picture plane). You really began to get at this in your last collage in response to Jonathan Kozol's talk.

    ReplyDelete